Having trouble extracting some pattern pieces

Any questions regarding features, parameters or anything you wish to know, here's the easiest place for us to find and answer them. Don't hold back, we're here to help! :bl:
Forum rules
Technical matters can be very dry and may require plenty of details at times. Try to describe your situation and don't get scared, when we ask about your operating system or hardware. All will be well! :geek:
AmosG

Having trouble extracting some pattern pieces

Post by AmosG »

hello i recently started to use white rabbit and i'm really loving it though recently i've been having an issue with the extraction feature. Some of my patterns are not being recognised, i've tried selecting the pieces to help it recognise them but it still does, i've even made sure there are no gaps in my pattern but it still has issues. The tool has worked well for all the other pieces except this one. Please assist, i'm pretty sure its something i must have done wrong cause it worked well recognising and extracting the other pieces. I wouldn't wish to re-do the piece just to have the same issue. Heres a video link showing the piece with the issue [/bbvideo]
TiesOli
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble extracting some pattern pieces

Post by TiesOli »

First of all: Welcome to the forum, Amos! :beer:
What a most excellent first post, too! A video and everything, that's fantastic! :hug:

Have you tried clicking in the upper portion of the pattern? Because there's one invisible part to the process, which is how extract scans into the line-work. It first shoots a "ray" to the left to see, if it hits a line. When it does, it will continue along the line to find the complete shape. If that fails, it then shoots a ray upwards for the procedure and so on clockwise until it either has found a solution or gives up. In your case, it may be that it always hits the little waist dart, trying to analyze it, but it won't go around your mouse pointer, while it also doesn't connect to the outside, but is closed. However, normally it would understand that this was a failed detection and then continue scanning. It's unclear why it has troubles with this particular piece, but we shall see...

Two possible easy alternative attempts:
1) just try to click in the upper portion of the pattern piece to let extract work its magic.
2) select all, but deselect the waist dart and try extracting now.

If this somehow still fails, just email us your project, if you don't mind, and we will go over it and figure out what's happening! :ugeek:

No matter what, we are thrilled to see what you're doing already, it's brilliant! And you need not worry, it looks totally right what you've done and may really just be a tiny handling issue. :tu:
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

Hmmm, I've tried to reconstruct roughly your pattern, even going overboard with subdivisions and Bezier types, but it can't fail. To really understand what's going on, we would have to see your project. I really hope you don't mind sending it to us. It's actually fantastic when things like this happen- besides being terrible, of course- but it may indeed help to find new improvements. :? :hyper:
AmosG

Post by AmosG »

I have tried both methods and it sadly didn't work. Could you please assist me with the email address of where to send the document? and am i exporting it then sending or am i sending the saved file on my computer?
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

Great, just send it to:
support@whiterabbitcad.com

Oh, sorry, just send the saved *.hop file. No need to export anything. ;)
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

Got it, excellent, you're awesome, Amos, thank you!
We've found the little hidden gap that snug up on you there. No problem at all. Maybe I'll make a video about the trick I told you in the email, because it can come in handy, I imagine.
We really need to make more videos, that's for sure!

Other than that, we can't believe that you went straight into such a fantastic project. This is no easy pattern to make and we're truly thrilled to see White Rabbit in your hands! :tu: :tu: :tu:
AmosG

Post by AmosG »

Wow thanks for the tip about the triple click definitely using that from now on. Silly me, I did not even think to look for a gap between a straight line. I was just looking for gaps at the corners. Thank you, this is a great help.
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

No worries, if anything, it shows us that we should add an option to highlight small gaps, depending on zoom level and/or based on the fixed maximum threshold for the automatic closure of them. Definitely in the notes again! :tu: