Grading

Any questions regarding features, parameters or anything you wish to know, here's the easiest place for us to find and answer them. Don't hold back, we're here to help! :bl:
Forum rules
Technical matters can be very dry and may require plenty of details at times. Try to describe your situation and don't get scared, when we ask about your operating system or hardware. All will be well! :geek:
EmmanuelleB

Grading

Post by EmmanuelleB »

Bonjour, bonjour

Do you know when the grading system will be available?
How can we do with an alternative solution using :bl: ?

I need to grade my patterns in different sizes and I hesitate to buy another software because I like white rabbit so much that I would like to be able to wait?
TiesOli
Site Admin

Re: Grading

Post by TiesOli »

Bonjour, mon amour! :hug:

We have figured out a great solution to help with "manual" grading for the next big update, which will allow repeated transformations of any group or patternpiece. This way you can design one grading step for a patternpiece (or group) and produce any number of extrapolated copies.
The interesting advantage here is that you will have a great deal of control instantly.
The interesting disadvantage is that you will have to have a great deal of control... :hihi: ...I mean, you need to know what you need/want.

A full grading system is still part of our plans, but we realized early on that it is an industry grade pro feature, which will be a commercial module.
However, if you've ever worked with a grading system, it commonly requires a somewhat different approach to designing the patterns. Our plan is to make it just as intuitive and approachable as everything else in :bl: ! (very clever, using the bunny, haha! :tu: )

The most exciting plans, though, are our ideas regarding intuitive scripting, which will allow made-to-measure designs. This way you could create grading, too, but more importantly it might enable you to deliver made-to-measure patterns directly for your customers and they would not have to bother working with compromises. The industry itself may not care about that too much, yet, but for all creators with direct customer interaction this is/will be a dream come true.

Anyway, not sure how soon the next update will be ready, but it will certainly be a month or two, looking at the list of ideas we have assembled again. Great stuff, though! :hyper:
EmmanuelleB

Post by EmmanuelleB »

It’s so awesome. :bounce:

I will wait and not buy anything elsewhere.
Thank you for your wonderful :bl: .
Hope you will make some videos to help us.

Beautiful evening
EmmanuelleB

Post by EmmanuelleB »

I will use this method.
Attachments
Capture d’écran .jpg
Capture d’écran .jpg (238.28 KiB) Viewed 34131 times
DM-Grada-femme-couv-zoom.jpg
DM-Grada-femme-couv-zoom.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 34131 times
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

Very cool, thanks for posting that! :tu:
Oli is immediately familiar with the method and it appears to be much like what she had learned.

But of course I will make videos, no question about it! 8-)
EmmanuelleB

Post by EmmanuelleB »

Hello, hello.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Do you have any news about grading.
will be able to grade with the evolutions size.
Before I used the valentina software and it was enough to enter the values in a table and the gradation was done automatically.
I am a little confused with the gradation and it is difficult for me.
Beautiful day.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2021-06-17 à 15.47.49.png
Capture d’écran 2021-06-17 à 15.47.49.png (401.14 KiB) Viewed 33680 times
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

Yes, grading is coming along fantastically! And you will have a blast with it! :D :hyper:
I don't think it has ever been more playful and elegant. We've added the ability to select more complex edges/seams between your grading anchors, which then preserve their proportions and automatically adjust to your changes. But that's not all! If you then grab any point on such a selected seam, you can virtually bend it to your needs. This is important on elements such as armholes, for example.

We've also added the ability to take your pattern to another sheet and adjust it on there to come to your desired size. Then you can go into our grading feature, turn up the background visibility of the sheet with the other size and simply click on that background pattern.

Our grading's philosophy is very different from any grading integration we've seen. In ours you only need to focus on one additional size and then can either extrapolate or interpolate how ever many sizes you wish to receive. For example, if your base model is at size 32, you would just go into grading, adjust it to a size 46 and then let it interpolate 6 steps and you'd get all the sizes between (34,36,38,40,42,44). Or you would adjust it to size 34 and then tell it how many extrapolations it should do. However you wish for it to work, it'll do that. :D

We're currently still working on the new image manager along with improved image scaling process and handling. Well, there are still a few flames to put out, but the grading is a total joy for us, really. It can do so much more than that, too. You won't believe it until I show some of the extra things it can accomplish! 8-)

Hang in there, Emmanuelle, it'll be worth it! I promise! :hug:
EmmanuelleB

Post by EmmanuelleB »

Hellon hello
I am so happy and impatient.
Thanks for the work, thanks a lot little white rabbit.

Have a nice day.
EmmanuelleB

Post by EmmanuelleB »

Hello,
Is there a tutorial to help understand?
Thanks for your help.
Emmanuelle
TiesOli
Site Admin

Post by TiesOli »

Hey Emmanuelle,
we have a few mini tutorials on Grading under Help / Video Tutorials / Grading Walkthrough.

Select Edges:

Set Leapvalues:

Setting Styles:

Changing Styles of Previous Projects:

Those mini tutorials explain how the grading feature works, but don't teach particular grading techniques of which there are many.
If you are new to grading, our grading allows you to go at it as easily as constructing a pattern in two sizes and then interpolate between them or extrapolate over, depending on what you prefer. This means, you could have a pattern in the smallest size you want and the largest that would still be possible without additional darts and then interpolate all the missing sizes between them.

Example:
• Make a pattern in size 36 in one sheet
• ...then the same pattern in size 44 in another sheet (which you later could put into the background, for example.
• go with size 36 into Grading, where you then can move points and edges to match your size 44 pattern. (you may have that visible in the background)
• once done you can go into the Grading's "Nesting" tab...
• choose how many nested sizes you want. In our example from 36 to 44 you'd want sizes 38, 40, 42 to be generated between, making it 3 repeats. Repeats: 3.
• there you could design your Styles for each nested size (color, width, dashes)
• once set you then would choose Interpolate.

White Rabbit CAD then generates your complete grading with your chosen styles. Each nested size will be its own Group so you can easily select it later, in case you wish to alter things in any way, while choosing layers for PDF would then be easiest via "Select By" and then just pick based on your style traits such as Dashes or Color.

But, yeah, grading can be that easy!

However, you could also use more academical approaches, such as applying leap values to anchor points as suggested by whatever established grading system you wish to use. The chief advantage there is that you would rely on given values rather than having to construct a pattern in a different size. However, you really have to know what your doing there and even then it's a matter of great faith, because common gradings can be rather oblivious to certain proportional changes and live firmly in the realm of compromises.

I hope this gives you a good start already. But never hesitate to ask questions as you go along! :br: :geek: